Subject: [Nel] Feedback

From: Arnaud Bienvenu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:00:41 +0100

Good morning,

I just tried to compile and run nel/snowballs2 from today's CVS source under
Linux Redhat 7.2. First I had to apply two tiny patches (see below), and
then, trying to run snowballs :

WRN 3133 dru.cpp 95 : when loading dynamic library 'libnel_drv_opengl.so':
/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.soh: shared object not open
WRN 3133 common.cpp 392 : Exception will be launched: libnel_drv_opengl.so
not found

Actually, I have libICE.so, not libICE.soh ! Do you have any idea where this
error could come from ? Even if I ln -s libICE.soh libICE.so, I get the same
error. My libICE.so comes from XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.

Thank you for your attention,
Arnaud Bienvenu

PS : Please tell me if the patches below are useful for you. If yes, would
you prefer to have them attached as text files ?

Index: nel/src/3d/Makefile.am
===================================================================
RCS file: /home/cvsroot/code/nel/src/3d/Makefile.am,v
retrieving revision 1.58
diff -u -r1.58 Makefile.am
--- nel/src/3d/Makefile.am	6 Dec 2001 17:03:03 -0000	1.58
+++ nel/src/3d/Makefile.am	10 Dec 2001 09:55:52 -0000
@@ -180,11 +180,14 @@
                        transformable_user.h \
                        trav_scene.h \
                        vegetable.h \
+                       vegetable_blend_layer_model.h \
                        vegetable_clip_block.h \
                        vegetable_def.h \
                        vegetable_instance_group.h \
                        vegetable_manager.h \
+                       vegetable_quadrant.h \
                        vegetable_shape.h \
+                       vegetable_sort_block.h \
                        vegetablevb_allocator.h \
                        vertex_buffer.h \
                        vertex_buffer_hard.h \
@@ -369,11 +372,14 @@
                        transformable.cpp \
                        transformable_user.cpp \
                        vegetable.cpp \
+                       vegetable_blend_layer_model.cpp \
                        vegetable_clip_block.cpp \
                        vegetable_def.cpp \
                        vegetable_instance_group.cpp \
                        vegetable_manager.cpp \
+                       vegetable_quadrant.cpp \
                        vegetable_shape.cpp \
+                       vegetable_sort_block.cpp \
                        vegetablevb_allocator.cpp \
                        vertex_buffer.cpp \
                        vertex_buffer_hard.cpp \

Index: nel/src/3d/ps_mesh.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /home/cvsroot/code/nel/src/3d/ps_mesh.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -u -r1.1 ps_mesh.cpp
--- nel/src/3d/ps_mesh.cpp	6 Dec 2001 16:51:49 -0000	1.1
+++ nel/src/3d/ps_mesh.cpp	10 Dec 2001 10:02:31 -0000
@@ -840,7 +840,7 @@
 
 //====================================================================================
 // Private func used to force modulation on a material and to store the preious state
-static inline ForceMaterialModulation(CMaterial &destMat, CMaterial &srcMat, uint8 modulatedStages)
+static inline void ForceMaterialModulation(CMaterial &destMat, CMaterial &srcMat, uint8 modulatedStages)
 {
 	for (uint k = 0; k < IDRV_MAT_MAXTEXTURES; ++k)
 	{

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:10:15 +0100

Hi Arnaud,

> error. My libICE.so comes from XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.

Sorry but i i have no clue for that problem :-(

> you prefer to have them attached as text files ?

I applied the first patch, the second one was already applied when a
took a look on ii.

If the patches are small you can do it like that, otherwise that will be
better to have them as attachments.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cedric.

---

From: Arnaud Bienvenu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:12:29 +0100

Thanks for answering Cedric,

> Sorry but i i have no clue for that problem :-(

I managed to workaround this problem linking the snowballs 2 client against
libGL.so (by default, libnel_drv_opengl.so is linked against libGL, but not
the snowballs 2 client). I do not know if this is a Linux requirement, or
another bug in RedHat's 7.2 GL librairies. I hope a Linux Guru will give us a
clue.

By the way, the libICE.soh standing instead of libICE.so is obviously a
display bug non related to nel, since I could reproduce it from clean trivial
code.

At last, running the snowballs client, I get this well known error :
INF 5222 client.cpp 145 : Starting Snowballs !
WRN 5222 dru.cpp 95 : when loading dynamic library 'libnel_drv_opengl.so':
/usr/local/lib/libnel_drv_opengl.so: undefined symbol: glSetFenceNV
WRN 5222 common.cpp 392 : Exception will be launched: libnel_drv_opengl.so
not found

I read on this list the problem is due to Fence NV disappearing from
Mesa-3.4 (which I use), and that the nevrax team is working on it. Is it
still the case ?

> I applied the first patch, the second one was already applied when a

The patched versions are not yet available from today's CVS head revision, but
I trust you it's in the pipeline.

Regards,
Arnaud Bienvenu