Subject: [Nel] Linux: pb with ./configure and libxml2

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:06:00 +0200

Hello,

I'm running a Debian and have libxml2 properly installed. However the
configure script fails :

checking for xml2-config... /usr/bin/xml2-config
checking for libxml - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run libxml test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means LIBXML was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved LIBXML since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the xml2-config script: /usr/bin/xml2-config
configure: error: libxml2 must be installed.

$ xml2-config  --version
2.4.6

It seems the test macro doesn't use  `xml2-config --cflags` : on Debian it is
`/usr/include/libxml2` (the reason being libxml1 is in the default /usr/include for
Gnome 1.4's sake). I'm not an autoconf guru, so... :)

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:57:05 +0200

Hello Vincent,

There is a problem with the libxml 2 macro for autoconf so the test
program fail (at least on Debian :-) to overide this test you have to
run the configure script with the '--disable-xmltest' option.

The libxml informations (cflags and libs options) will be set correctly.

Vincent Caron wrote:
> [...]

Cedric.

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:13:46 +0200

> run the configure script with the '--disable-xmltest' option.

Thanx, it works. Now I have a pb with both STLport 4.5 (release) and
STLport-0824 (beta) :

c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../src -I/usr/include/freetype2
-I/home/zerodeux/src/nevrax/STLport/stlport -g -Wno-multichar -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include
-Wp,-MD,.deps/skeleton_weight.pp -c skeleton_weight.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/skeleton_weight.lo
/home/zerodeux/src/nevrax/STLport/stlport/stl/type_traits.h: In function `struct
_STL::_OKToMemCpy<char,char> _STL::_IsOKToMemCpy<char, char>(char *, char *)':
/home/zerodeux/src/nevrax/STLport/stlport/stl/type_traits.h:343: template instantiation depth
exceeds maximum of 17
/home/zerodeux/src/nevrax/STLport/stlport/stl/type_traits.h:343:  (use -ftemplate-depth-NN to
increase the maximum)
/home/zerodeux/src/nevrax/STLport/stlport/stl/type_traits.h:343:   instantiating
`_STL::_OKToMemCpy<char,char>'
/home/zerodeux/src/nevrax/STLport/stlport/stl/type_traits.h:343:   instantiated from
`_STL::_IsOKToMemCpy<char, char>(char *, char *)'

There's a good advice in this error, so I ran :

CXXFLAGS=-ftemplate-depth-24 ./configure ; make

And it did the job. Maybe this should be set as a default ? BTW, this feature
is not documented in 'man g++'. I'm using g++ 2.95.4.

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:57:30 +0100

Hi Vincent,

> is not documented in 'man g++'. I'm using g++ 2.95.4.

I startted to compile NeL with STLPorts 4.5 and, following your advice,
i added this option as a default in the configure.in file.

Thanks for your help :-)

Cedric.