Subject: [Nel] Pb with glx version

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:48:51 +0100

I'm having the same trouble as Bernard Hugueney had. I'm using Debian Sid
(unstable), and the nel/ configure script complains about OpenGL version
being too old (GL_GLEXT_VERSION < 7). Debian packages the original XFree 4.0.2
header files, XFree says 4.0.2 uses Mesa 3.4, and if you downloa Mesa 3.4 you'll
see that GL_GLEXT_VERSION is set to 6.

Since the latest version from SGI's OpenGL sample implementation is set to 7,
and Mesa's CVS stick to that 6, I guess Nevrax developpers use somewhat
cstomized RPMs (let me guess ... Mandrake ? :))

I suggest that the configure script should be relying on version 6 for now,
in order we claim what's really implemented by XFree 4.0.2.

---

From: Valignat Cedric <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:28:04 +0100

> cstomized RPMs (let me guess ... Mandrake ? :))

Nop, but you are quite close : RedHat 7.0 :-)

> in order we claim what's really implemented by XFree 4.0.2.

The problem is that we are going, in a very short time, to use recent
extensions present only in the version 7 of glext.h. So it migth be useless
to change it now and change it agin soon ...

Anyway, i'm going to put a note about the glext.h version and where to find it
in nel's INSTALL file.

Cedric.

---

From: "Lionel Berenguier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:32:41 +0100

> cstomized RPMs (let me guess ... Mandrake ? :))

No.

"glext.h" is NOT linked to any linux distribution/version. His purpose is to
declare all the possible extensions of any graphic hardware. For that
reason, SGI handles the "official" glext.h, which you can retrieve from:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/glext.h

> in order we claim what's really implemented by XFree 4.0.2.

For now, we do not really use the version 7 of the header, but this will
come soon (for fututre new extensions such as NV20 ones), so the only thing
you must do, is to get and replace the glext.h.

> _______________________________________________
> Nel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> /mailman/listinfo.cgi/nel

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:34:47 +0100

> you must do, is to get and replace the glext.h.

All right, I read SGI's recommendations. I'll suggest Debian to upgrade their
glext.h then.

---

From: elijah wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:57:23 -0500 (EST)

> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/glext.h

if in fact this is true (i'll take your word for it) someone should
probably make a .deb that downloads and installs the newer glext.h.  it'll
take some trickery to get the overrrides and alternatives right, but
nothing that can't be done.  it'll have to cooperate with mesa and xfree
maintainers, too- even less fun.  maybe xfree and mesa developers will
upgrade their version of the file soon?

elijah