Subject: [Nel] Error in the client: Read error in file 'data/' (End of file??)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:28:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I too am hoping to get snowballs running on a Debian/GNU Linux
machine.  I too have run into the error message mentioned in the
title.  I'd love to see a patch for it.  So far I've traced it down to
a call to setupTexture which is exiting the program.  My C++ skills
are not strong enough to hunt this down any further.

I have an Athalon 700, 512M ram, and GeForce 256.  
Libc6 2.2.2, 
gcc 2.95.3, 

Other info available on request.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

-- 
Robert de Forest      "Love is like a snowmobile flying over the
System Administrator   frozen tundra that suddenly flips, pinning you
Got.net                underneath.  At night the ice weasles come. "
<[email-masked]>             -- Matt Groenig (Simpsons creator)

---

From: Leighton Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:39:53 +0800

> are not strong enough to hunt this down any further.
cut'n'paste from one of my previous emails :) :
        the client was exiting with a message in the logfile about
          being unable to load file "data/". Managed to eventually track
          it down to some of the texture loading code in
          code/nel/src/3d/landscape.cpp. The loading of the diffuse 
          texturemap doesn't do a check for textName == "" though
          the loading of the alpha texture map does. Haven't worked   
          out yet why it's decided that the textName is "" (it's too
          late ;)). I modified the code to do a test for textName == ""
          and made it default to loading the CTextureCross texture.
If you still can't get it to work, give me an email and I can probably 
send you a patch. (This code itself looks like it's correct behaviour,
the problem is with whatever's feeding this with files to load. My 'fix'
is a workaround until i get the time to trace where it's getting fed
from. )

Leighton...

--

Part-time student. Full-time Programmer. 
Seeking the 36 hour day and the 10 hour working week.
(08) 9272 9058 (Home - like I'm ever there)
0401 335 136 (Mobile - like it's ever on)