Subject: [Nel] Ran snowball on Linux+GeForce256

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:30:33 +0100

I compiled NeL from CVS the night before, and fetched snowballs data this
morning (yes, after the slashdotting, I had something like a half-minitel
feeling). The client took 20sec to display something (no CPU consumption
though), then I connected to itsalive with a dummy login. Everything is
fine, except my fps starting at 5 (the landscape just loaded) quickly
sinking at 0.8 (I moved the mouse a little).

My box is a Celeron-375, GeForce256, Linux 2.4.0 (Debian/woody). I'm running
XFree 4.0.2 with Nvidia 0.9.6 drivers. Quake3 runs over 60fps with full
options at 1024x768 (and really never hangs, yeees :)).

More details: my desktop is 1152x864x32, the client.cfg was set to 800x600
fullscreen (32 bits) and the demo didn't switch to fullscreen (the modeline
is available). Btw, what do you do when someone request a different bitdepth
under X ? Simply ignore it or display a warning ?

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:45:38 +0100

> under X ? Simply ignore it or display a warning ?

actualy, we don t manage the bitdepth and the fullscreen switch (sources are
available and feel free to add stuffs if you want ;)
everything about opengl is in driver_opengl.cpp!

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geek.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:34:23 +0100

> everything about opengl is in driver_opengl.cpp!

You can't change XFree bitdepth until you restart it ... For good GL init
code, I suggest you take a look at SDL init code.