Subject: [Nel] Compiling under Linux

From: Tels <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:27:30 +0100 (CET)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Moin,

several nitpicks after my 2-hour adventures with ./configure under
linux/gcc (SuSE 7.0):

#configure: error: Cannot find freetype-config: check your path.
#    FreeType 2 library is needed to compile NeL (www.freetype.org).

Freetype.org is down, I could not reach it for several days/weeks.

http://www.sourceforge.org/projects/freetype/ seems to be the new
url.

StlPort: Do I need to make it, or is simple unzipping enough? If yes,
please document this, the make takes for ever ;o) Also, for stlport,
there is no "make install" for unix. Does this matter? I also run low on
diskspace due to stlport ... is there anyway to cut down the size after
making it?

#checking for freetype-config... no
#configure: error: Cannot find freetype-config: check your path.
#    FreeType 2 library is needed to compile NeL (www.freetype.org).

Ugh, this file does not get installed, and only resides in the build dir
of freetype (which I was to delete).

So I copied it in the nel pat, but root does not have "." in it's path.
Now I try configure as user and get this:

#checking whether c++ accepts -g... \c
#yes
#./configure: /dev/null: Permission denied
#configure: error: can not run ./config.sub 

Now my hour for this day is running out...

The build process needs to be MUCH easier, if this game will ever come of
for Linux. Nobodies going to fiddle for 3 hours with it....or did I get it
wrong and level one is named "./configure" ? ;-P

Tels

Tels

- --
 "Why do you go so slowly? Do you think this is some kind of game?"
 http://bloodgate.com/thief/     Thief - The Dark Project
 http://bloodgate.com/aifilter   Rewriting the HTML as we know it.
 http://freedomforlinks.de       Fight for your right to link. 
 PGP key available on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or via email.

The email address contained in the From/Reply of this email is NOT
to be displayed on webpages, entered into any mailing lists, given 
to other people, used to send me electronic greeting cards without
my written, signed permission. No SPAM nor UCE, either! Thank you!
And PLEASE refrain from forwarding me chain letters, massmailings,
or pyramid schemes.

---

From: Valignat Cedric <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:52:51 +0100

> http://www.sourceforge.org/projects/freetype/ seems to be the new

Try the american mirror web site at http://freetype.sourceforge.net/, you
will have access to the all the project home page.

I updated the INSTALL and configure.in file to change tha FreeType
homepage.

> there is no "make install" for unix. Does this matter?

NeL is using the SGI iostreams, so i'm afraid that you will have to compile
it.

> I also run low on diskspace due to stlport ... is there anyway to cut
> down the size after making it?

you could do a 'make -f gcc.mak clean' to delete all the ojects files,
it doesn't delete the library files ...

> of freetype (which I was to delete).

That's weird, it works fine for me :o)

The installation line is in the builds/unix/install.mk file (line 51),
Are you sure that the installation directory (ex: /usr/local/bin) is
in your path ?

> Now I try configure as user and get this:

The script is looking for freetype-config script in your path, it will change
nothing to put in the NeL directoty, if it isn't in your path ;-)

> wrong and level one is named "./configure" ? ;-P

Thanks for your suggestion :-)

We actually working on improving the documentation and build process, so it
"migth" be easier in a near future ;-)

Cedric.