Subject: [Nel] You guys will let us know when you're done mucking about, right?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 08:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello again Nevrax folks,

I'm still interested in using NeL in a project, and I wanted to prod
you guys and see how things are coming along, and when we'll be able
to get involved again.

Don't forget that one of the selling points of free software is
collaboration with the community.  We're not just here to bug you. :)

Hope everything's going well.

Robert

-- 
Robert de Forest      "Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day;
System Administrator   set him on fire and he'll be warm 
Got.net                for the rest of his life."
<[email-masked]>                -- The Cube, forum3000.org

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:52:53 +0200

Hello Robert,

> collaboration with the community.  We're not just here to bug you. :)

hehe ... i think that we quite aware of that :-)

We are just meeting some of our own internal Milestones so, as you guess,
we are quite busy at the moment.

Our 3D team are redisigning NeL's 3d interfaces, the network is redisigning
the networks layers, and are curently working on the documentation too ...

A new version of Snowball sould be done for the first of May. That new
version will use the new network and 3D implementation of NeL.

So don't worry, we didn't forget you, it's just that we are very busy.

Sorry about that ...

Cedric.

---

From: David Mentre <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 2001 09:17:41 +0200

> the networks layers, and are curently working on the documentation too ...

About the network layer, what is the design you have finally chosen?
Automata over kernel threads?

BTW, have you setup unit tests? I had a (very) quick glance at code but
did not found any. Would you be interested in such tests?

d.
-- 
 [email-masked] -- http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/
 Opinions expressed here are only mine.

---

From: "sameh chafik Pro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:01:48 +0200

Hello Robert

> you guys and see how things are coming along, and when we'll be able

What kind of project you are working on ?

---

From: Vincent Archer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:35:06 +0200

> Automata over kernel threads?

We're finishing the design docs, which will explain exactly how we're
going to work. Can't explain further yet. You'll have to wait a little bit
more for these to appear on the web/CVS.

> did not found any. Would you be interested in such tests?

We haven't any formal test system for elementary modules. There are some
self-contained examples in the nel/samples directory that show how some
modules work, and which could easily be turned into testbeds to check
functionality.

If you think you can find better examples, or put added examples that
can serve as tests at the same time, your contribution will be well
appreciated.

-- 
Vincent Archer                                         Email: [email-masked]

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

[ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> What kind of project you are working on ?

Why a 3d MUD, of course.

I started out on a MOO, then got into ColdMUD, which then begat this
project:

coldstore.sourceforge.net

Which is just the back-end, and is embrionic still.

My goal is to replace all the MMORPGs with a decentralized free
alternative.  Of course, this would compete with Nevrax, but that will
just encourage them to be better. :)

I think Nevrax has the best philosophical approach to this problem of
any commercial effort, and I applaud them.  However, since I don't
work there, and I still want to work on these problems, I work for
free.

The particular subject I wish to tackle with an MMORPG is the social
experimentation subject.  This has been tried before in text-based
adventures (LambdaMOO and its descendents), but never on a large
enough scale or with new technology.

I want to see if we can learn something as a culture by creating a
super dynamic world with maximum "player" input into the universe and
maybe solve some of our differences inside that world.  Then maybe we
can carry those lessons to the outside world.

My experiment would NOT be a game.  It would also not be a pure
simulation because we just don't have that technology yet, either in
input and output or in resources to process or computer it.  It would
be a rough analogy of life, and would try to put everyone at roughly
the same level of world interaction, within reason.  It would be based
heavily on life as we know it, but with an accelerated time scale.

I try not to think too much about whether I actually expect this to
ever happen or be popular. :)

Thanks for asking!

Robert