Subject: [Nel] How do i compile this beast? Empty FAQ...

From: Stefan Nilsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:43:58 +0100

Hi guys.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do i do after i have CVS'ed 
home this thing?

Look below for my trial and (mostly) error.

I would like to RTFM, but i don't find any :-(

Pls help me!

Btw, I run SuSE 7.0 if that helps anyone, and my computer is Y2K safe :-)

----- cut here -----

A loosers guide to automake! ;-)

I have tried the following commands:
aclocal  

(i got myself an aclocal.m4)

automake 

automake: configure.in: required file `./install-sh' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./mkinstalldirs' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./missing' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./config.guess' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./config.sub' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./INSTALL' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./COPYING' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
configure.in: 11: required file `./include/config.h.in' not found   

automake -a

automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
automake: configure.in: installing `./config.guess'
automake: configure.in: installing `./config.sub'
automake: Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found
automake: Makefile.am: installing `./COPYING'
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
configure.in: 11: required file `./include/config.h.in' not found  

autoconf

This gives me some of the missing files in the step above.

automake -a  (again...)

automake: Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
configure.in: 11: required file `./include/config.h.in' not found  

autoheader

(silence...)

automake -a (a final time...)

automake: Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found   

./configure

...
...
...
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for working const... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating src/Makefile
creating src/misc/Makefile
creating src/net/Makefile
creating include/Makefile
sed: can't read ./include/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating lib/Makefile
sed: can't read ./lib/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating doc/Makefile
sed: can't read ./doc/Makefile.in: No such file or directory
creating include/config.h    

make

Making all in include
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/stni/workproj/nel/code/nel/include'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stni/workproj/nel/code/nel/include'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

---

From: Valignat Cedric <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:09:32 +0100

Hi,

Stefan Nilsen wrote:
> [...]

At the moment the library is compiling only on Visual C++ :-(

We are currently working on this problem, it sould be fix soon.

Sorry about that ...

> A loosers guide to automake! ;-)

Thanks for your help ! :-)

Cedric.

---

From: Stefan Nilsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:55:37 +0100

> We are currently working on this problem, it sould be fix soon.

Ok, that explains it. Maybe I'm not stupid after all... :-)