Subject: [Nel] compiling nel on ppc

From: nik gaffney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:30:25 +0100 (CET)

hi,

now, it may seem foolish, but i had to try compiling nel on a ppc debian
system, with linux 2.4.17 kernel.

all of the libs + support material was easily installed with apt-get, the
bootstrap script worked fine, as did configure (after a bit of stlport
pointing)

./configure --with-stlport=/usr/include --enable-sound

then the problems began,.

luckily there was only a single line of x86 asm i came across..
im not sure if you have made any design decisions about cross platfrm
compatability, but anyway it looks like ive got in before all the asm
'optmisations' begin, judging from the comments. .

misc/time_nl.cpp line115
CTime::getPerformanceTime ()

it might be worth putting a few #ifdefs or whatever, to use the
'unoptimised' versions of the functions if there isnt an x86 chip in
sight.

unfortunately,. it wasnt just a matter of fudging a return value for this
function, gcc spat out some more straightfwd compiler errors

using gcc 2.95 and it tells me this ->

../../src/3d/ps_mesh.h:551:   instantiated from here
../../include/nel/misc/smart_ptr_inline.h:72: invalid use of undefined
type `class NL3D::IShape'
../../src/3d/ps_mesh.h:57: forward declaration of `class NL3D::IShape'
../../include/nel/misc/smart_ptr_inline.h:73: invalid use of undefined
type `class NL3D::IShape'
../../src/3d/ps_mesh.h:57: forward declaration of `class NL3D::IShape'

any hints, or am i doomed to fail without some serious porting like
bahaviour?

thnks
  nik

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:30:28 +0100

HI,

We assume that all linux are on x86 plateform (only because we can't test it
on other plateform) so we don't set the good value for other processor.
We should use #defined value defined by configure to know if we can optimise
some part in asm.

> ../../src/3d/ps_mesh.h:57: forward declaration of `class NL3D::IShape'

We had the same problem on x86 and we fixed it (wait the next cvs syncro
this night).

But I warn you, we never try NeL on non-x86 processor, it surely doesn't
work :) First you should fix types_nl.h and changed:

#  define NL_OS_UNIX
// *for now*, we suppose that all unix system are LITLLE_ENDIAN (because we
only test on linux/x86 system
#  define NL_LITTLE_ENDIAN
#endif

with

#  define NL_BIG_ENDIAN

But anyway, it should works but we never try little<->big endian conversion!

If you have a patch or something, don't hesistate to send it to us.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

---

From: n_ki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:43:55 +0100

[23.01.2002 ° 11:30 Uhr] Vianney Lecroart -->

hi,.

>on other plateform) so we don't set the good value for other processor.

a dangerous assuption ;)
   with a little planning the same codebase can run on ppc, alpha, ps2 or an
ipaq.  of course, im not suggesting you should, nor voluteering to port it! 
 but cross platform stuff is MUCH easier with a single os!+
 
>We should use #defined value defined by configure to know if we can optimise

would make sense,., 

>We had the same problem on x86 and we fixed it (wait the next cvs syncro

when does the cvs get synced, aproximately?

>work :) First you should fix types_nl.h and changed:

ill get back to fiddling with it then,.  . just to make sure it doesnt work!
  
zp.
 nk

 ][] [ http://f0.am ]   [foundation of applied mysticism   []    ] ]

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:42:19 +0100

Hi,

>  but cross platform stuff is MUCH easier with a single os!+

I'm ok with you, but without ppc alpha ps2 or ipaq, it s quite difficult to
port and test our lib! Of course we are multi platform (windows, linux for
now) but for other OS, we need participation of the oss community, it's
important for us to have a library that works on as many os as possible but
we alos have a game to do and not all the time to do these ports, so if you
want to help us saying what works, what doesn t work, it could be very
useful for us.

> when does the cvs get synced, aproximately?

It synced now, it s around 4:00am french time :)

Vianney Lecroart
---

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:03:41 +0100

> when does the cvs get synced, aproximately?

The public cvs synchronization is part of a job wich is launch at 1h00 am CET
every day. So it should be available around 2h00 am CET ...

I'm going to put a notice about that on the web site.

Cedric.