Subject: [Nel] STLPort update

From: "Paul Siegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:59:50 -0500

It's been a while since I've played with NeL, and since I recently got a new
computer, I redownloaded all the dependencies and built NeL and Snowballs
from scratch.  Everything built fine, but when I tried to launch the app it
crashed.  I found this in my log:

02/03/06 11:21:21 WRN  756 common.cpp 401 : Exception will be launched: In
Stream: data/shapes/snow.ps: The version in stream is newer than the class

I tried scouring the mailing list archive, but found nothing on the problem.
I next downloaded the distributed binaries on Nevrax.org's download page,
and noticed that one of the files in the archive was stlport_vc6.4.5.dll.
Well, I made an educated guess that NeL has moved from STLPort 4.0 to 4.5.
I downloaded the more recent version of the library, rebuilt, and everything
worked fine.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this in case anyone else came across such a
problem.  Ultimately, it would be nice if somewhere it was documented that
NeL now requires STLPort 4.5.  I'm thinking code/nel/INSTALL.

Paul

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "Nicolas Vizerie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:05:50 +0100

Hi Paul,
For info, this message prevent using new datas with old code that don't
manage them. The serialization code check the version number, and when it is
higher that the one in the code, an exception is thrown.
Updating the code usually solve this kind of problems.
Regards
Nicolas Vizerie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Siegel" <[email-masked]>
To: "NeL List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 9:59 PM
Subject: [Nel] STLPort update

> _______________________________________________
> Nel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> /mailman/listinfo.cgi/nel
>

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:23:24 +0100

Hi Paul,

> Stream: data/shapes/snow.ps: The version in stream is newer than the class

The problem doesn't come from STLport4.5. You're right, for the Snowballs
binaries, we used STLport4.5 but it works fine with STLport4.0.
We had to export a new snow.ps because the old one didn't work. It seems
that your NeL code was to old to handle the new .ps file format.
So the problem was resolved when you have updated NeL.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?