Subject: [Nel] GNU/Linux ... trying to load landscape

From: Loic Dachary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:49:39 +0100

Hi,

	I managed to see the splash screen before it crashed while
loading the landscape. I use
/download/cvs/snowballs-data-20011030.tar.gz,
blindly assuming that nothing changed in the data format since then.
Which is probably a big mistake ;-)

	I'm using Mesa-3.4.2 & STL-4.0. 

	Compilation of nel was done with :

./configure  --with-stlport=/usr/local/src/STLport-4.0 --enable-sound --prefix=/spare3/nel --with-opengl=/spare3/nel --with-debug --disable-static --enable-maintainer-mode

	Compilation of snowballs was done with :

./configure  --with-stlport=/usr/local/src/STLport-4.0 --prefix=/spare3/nel --with-nel=/spare3/nel --with-debug --enable-maintainer-mode

	On a Debian GNU/Linux unstable dist-upgrade'd late last week.

	My graphical card is a Matrox Millenium II and, yes, I know snowballs
is likely to be so slow that I won't be able to do anything with it. When I'll
reach this point I'll consider buying another card.

	Here is the corresponding GDB stack trace:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 2365)]
0x0807eb21 in _STL::_Rb_global<bool>::_M_increment (__it=0xbffff74c)
    at /usr/local/src/STLport-4.0/stlport/stl/_tree.c:295
295       if (_M_node->_M_right != 0) {
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0807eb21 in _STL::_Rb_global<bool>::_M_increment (__it=0xbffff74c)
    at /usr/local/src/STLport-4.0/stlport/stl/_tree.c:295
#1  0x40dec4ac in _STL::_Rb_tree_iterator<_STL::pair<_STL::basic_string<char, _STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const, NL3D::CMeshBase::CLightInfoMapList>, _STL::_Nonconst_traits<_STL::pair<_STL::basic_string<char, _STL::char_traits<char>,
_STL::allocator<char> > const, NL3D::CMeshBase::CLightInfoMapList> > >::operator++ (
    this=0xbffff74c) at /usr/local/src/STLport-4.0/stlport/stl/_tree.h:182
#2  0x40cb9bfc in NL3D::CScene::createInstance (this=0x87115d8,
    shapeName=@0xbffff84c) at scene.cpp:484
#3  0x40cbc574 in NL3D::CInstanceGroup::addToScene (this=0x8e43564,
    scene=@0x87115d8, driver=0x0) at scene_group.cpp:414
#4  0x40c0fd5c in NL3D::CInstanceGroupUser::addToScene (this=0x8e43560,
    scene=@0x87115d8, driver=0x0) at instance_group_user.cpp:145
#5  0x40c0fd26 in NL3D::CInstanceGroupUser::addToScene (this=0x8e43560,
    scene=@0x87115d0, driver=0x0) at instance_group_user.cpp:139
#6  0x08070ed2 in initLandscape () at landscape.cpp:161
#7  0x08063dd7 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffcd4) at client.cpp:194
#8  0x419376cf in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

	_M_node is null, hence the core. 

	Cheers,

-- 
Loic   Dachary         http://www.dachary.org/  [email-masked]
12 bd  Magenta         http://www.senga.org/      [email-masked]
75010    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 07 97          [email-masked]
        GPG Public Key: http://www.dachary.org/loic/gpg.txt

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Feb 2002 19:13:35 +0100

> 	_M_node is null, hence the core. 

You're running into a bug that was previously reported, but you're the
first one to reach it with NeL compiled in debug mode (I didn't have
enough HD space !). We run the demo by commenting the faulty line, but
we never actually managed to find out the real bug in there ... It seems
that this bug does not appear under Win32, so we're not sure if it's a
STL bug or something more subtle. Sorry, no more info :)

---

From: Loic Dachary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:20:00 +0100

> STL bug or something more subtle. Sorry, no more info :)

	Intersting. Commenting out the 

	++itLM 

	that is in scene.cpp is an horrible hack ;-). When I do that
it loops forever. I'm somewhat confused: you say that you run the demo
by commenting the faulty line. Is it under GNU/Linux ? If not why did
you have to comment the line if the bug does not show ? If yes how did
you figure out which line to comment ?

	I'd be interested to know what STL version you're using. From the
recent posts on the list it appears that STL-4.5 would do the job. But 
I'm using STL-4.0 as instructed by the README/INSTALL files.

	Cheers,

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Feb 2002 23:41:57 +0100

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 23:20, Loic Dachary wrote:
> 	that is in scene.cpp is an horrible hack ;-)

It is indeed !
Ops, you're right, commenting out this line among others was a
suggestion from Heath Johns (
/pipermail/nel/2001-November/000749.html ).
November... I forgot where I got that cumbersome tip :). I guess he
did not manage to search the pb in depth. And I forgot it.

I'm using STLport 4.5.