Subject: [Nel] problems compiling nel/net/new_message.h

From: papakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 16:20:57 -0800

I've been trying to compile snowballs.exe for the past few days. I really 
don't know C++ all that well and certainly don't know much about VisualC++ 
so I have a feeling I may be over my head but I am dying to get involved in 
this project and I would love to play snowballs.exe. So any help would be 
greatly appreciated.

I am using MS Visual C++ on Windows 2000, 3dfx voodoo3 and I am compiling a 
current CVS version of the code base.

I get the following compile time errors when I build nlnet_rd.lib

--------------------Configuration: net - Win32 ReleaseDebug--------------------
Compiling...
new_message.cpp
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(48) : error 
C2039: 'CStringIdArray' : is not a member of 'NLMISC'
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(48) : error 
C2629: unexpected 'class NLNET::CNewMessage ('
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(48) : error 
C2334: unexpected token(s) preceding ':'; skipping apparent function body
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(71) : error 
C2146: syntax error : missing ',' before identifier 'id'
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(71) : error 
C2061: syntax error : identifier 'id'
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(117) : error 
C2039: 'CStringIdArray' : is not a member of 'NLMISC'
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(117) : error 
C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(117) : error 
C2501: '_SIDA' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
Error executing cl.exe.

nlnet_rd.lib - 8 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I took the liberty of adding the following line to new_message.h
#include "nel/misc/string_id_array.h"
since that's where CStringArray is defined.  and got some more syntax 
errors on line 71.

line 71 reads:
         void setType (const TStringId id)
I made the following changes to get rid of the syntax errors. ( why? I 
am  not really sure. it just seemed the right thing to do ;-) )
         void setType (const NLMISC::CStringIdArray::TStringId id)

and now I get the following error that I can't fix.

C:\SNOWBALLS_SRC_0_2\CODE\NEL\INCLUDE\nel/net/new_message.h(100) : error 
C2662: 'getId' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const class 
NLMISC::CStringIdArray' to 'class NLMISC::CStringIdArray &'
         Conversion loses qualifiers

line 100 reads as follows :
           NLMISC::CStringIdArray::TStringId id = _SIDA->getId (name);

_SIDA is defined as follows

private:
	const NLMISC::CStringIdArray *_SIDA;

Does any one have any idea what's wrong or even if I am on the right track?

-Ishmael (and Adam)

p.s. I compiled the version found in snowballs_src_0_2.zip downloaded from 
nevrax.org. I got everything compiled but then when I load the game and 
connect to the public server I get a white screen that stays white and the 
game never loads.

I decided to get the updated CVS version of the code base to see if it 
works better.

p.p.s. I was also getting compile time errors in the AI module (or is it 
IA, the vcc workspace keeps calling it IA wihch is very confusing) but it 
doesn't seem like snowballs uses the ai module. Is this correct?

______________________________________________________
Ga-ming-o (n): A collection of game programming examples for lingo.
http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=8974 <-- bugbase
http://www.gamingo.com   <-- homepage

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:41:24 +0100

Hello,

In fact, new_message.cpp shouldn't be on the nel directory. so you could
delete new_message.* and remove the file from the makefile or from the .dsp.
I commit the modification but you must wait the night to get the fix.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

----- Original Message -----
From: "papakane" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 1:20 AM
Subject: [Nel] problems compiling nel/net/new_message.h

> _______________________________________________
> Nel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> /mailman/listinfo.cgi/nel