Subject: [Nel] Building Snowballs2 on Linux

From: David Artiga Torrijos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:02:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi all.

After solving the problem with glSetFenceNV I tried to compile the OpenGL
driver and I got the following:

(blah blah blah)
*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lXxf86vm.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.
c++ -shared  driver_opengl.lo driver_opengl_extension.lo
driver_opengl_light.lo driver_opengl_material.lo driver_opengl_matrix.lo
driver_opengl_states.lo driver_opengl_texture.lo driver_opengl_vertex.lo
driver_opengl_vertex_program.lo unix_event_emitter.lo  -lGL
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lstlport_gcc -lc  -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libnel_drv_opengl.so.0 -o .libs/libnel_drv_opengl.so.0.0.0
(cd .libs && rm -f libnel_drv_opengl.so.0 && ln -s
libnel_drv_opengl.so.0.0.0 libnel_drv_opengl.so.0)
(blah blah blah)

So I looked for the vidmode library and found that I have the static
version only, not the shared (on a Debian box with xlibs-dev-4.1.0). I
solved it by adding a "-lXxf86vm" at the previous compile line (this flag
is set in the static version of the OpenGL driver but not in the shared
one).

I was happy about my success but when launching the Snowballs2 client I
got:

INF 8467 client.cpp 145 : Starting Snowballs !
WRN 8467 dru.cpp 95 : when loading dynamic library 'libnel_drv_opengl.so':
/usr/local/lib/libnel_drv_opengl.so: undefined symbol: glBindProgramNV
WRN 8467 common.cpp 390 : Exception will be launched: libnel_drv_opengl.so
not found

(Again problems with extensions)
I looked in common.cpp and saw that the availability of the extensions is
only checked in Windows version... :(

So... one problem solved, twenty appeared :)

(Sorry about my english)
Happy coding.

David Artiga

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:05:33 +0100

Hi David,

According to David Artiga Torrijos:
> [...]

Your problem might come from an old version of libtool. We are using a libtool
version 1.4.2a and that works fine ... keep me informed of your progress
please :-)

> only checked in Windows version... :(

We are going to take a look on that ...

> So... one problem solved, twenty appeared :)

:-)

> Happy coding.

Thanks ;-)

Cedric.