Subject: [Nel] segv if I press alt?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:30:39 -0800 (PST)

Hello again!

I was trying to debug the 'Read error' message, and while switching
between desktops by pressing "Alt-F1" I generated a segmentation fault
before I hit the F1 key.  It's extremely easy to duplicate and here's
the traceback:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/client 

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
NLMISC::CBitSet::set (this=0x80a09c4, bitNumber=134875400, value=true) at bit_set.cpp:111
111                     Array[bitNumber / BITLEN]|= mask ;
(gdb) bt  
#0  NLMISC::CBitSet::set (this=0x80a09c4, bitNumber=134875400, value=true) at bit_set.cpp:111
#1  0x400b9c88 in NLMISC::CEventListenerAsync::operator() (this=0x80a09c0, event=@0x82910c8) at event_listener.cpp:91
#2  0x400ba0f9 in NLMISC::CEventServer::pumpEvent (this=0x80a0940, event=0x82910c8) at event_server.cpp:89
#3  0x400ba047 in NLMISC::CEventServer::pump (this=0x80a0940) at event_server.cpp:67
#4  0x807486f in CLanguageInterface::choose (this=0xbffff39c) at language_interface.cpp:141
#5  0x806fd4e in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff644) at client.cpp:3078
#6  0x4040ec14 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb) 

I'm hesitant to file any bugs until I know my development environment
is up to spec and I don't have any problems with wrong library
versions and such.

If someone can confirm that this is a bug in a working client, they or
I can file a bug, otherwise I'll chalk it up to being something on my
end.

Robert

-- 
Robert de Forest      " meetings, n.:
System Administrator         A place where minutes are kept 
Got.net                                and hours are lost."
<[email-masked]>                    -- login fortune

---

From: Leighton Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:50:02 +0800

> I can file a bug, otherwise I'll chalk it up to being something on my
I've noticed this bug. The code that translates X Keypress
events seems to be broken. I haven't looked at it in detail yet.
Basically, the code expects to convert all keypresses to a number
between 0 and 255(?) and then shoves the flag into an array.
The alt key is getting converted into a number greater than 255
so it generates a segfault when it tries to set the array value
for that key.

It's on my list of things to take a look at when I get time ;)

On another topic, I'll post my workaround for the loading "data/" 
bug thingie to the list sometime tonight. We still need to work out
_why_ it's trying to load this though. The 'fix' will make it work,
but doesn't really fix anything.

Leighton...

--

Part-time student. Full-time Programmer. 
Seeking the 36 hour day and the 10 hour working week.
(08) 9272 9058 (Home - like I'm ever there)
0401 335 136 (Mobile - like it's ever on)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:24:24 -0800 (PST)

> It's on my list of things to take a look at when I get time ;)

Heh, I've got a lot of those lists.

Should I file a bug report then?

> but doesn't really fix anything.

That would be great.  Right now I've got a break point at File.cpp:93
where the throw EReadError appears, and I'm going to keep trying to
figure it out on my own until I hear from you. :)

Once I figure this out I should be able to start exploring the system
and see where I can best apply my skills.

Robert