Subject: [Nel] Snowballs Segfaults

From: Heath Johns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:34:04 +0000

(In response to "Linux: snowballs (almost) running")

> I now have the splash screen, and then a nice segfault :).

I don't know if you are still having this problem, but it is the same one 
that I've been trying to get around just now (I'm using the latest source 
from cvs).

My workaround:  comment out lines 423-445 in nel/src/3d/scene.cpp

So it runs now.  There was a huge NeL logo obscuring everything, but I 
commented out line 369 of snowballs2/client/src/client.cpp and that took care 
of it.

So now I've got the gnu, and I can move around etc. and the trees show up, 
but there is no landscape.  Also, it times out if you try to contact 
itsalive.nevrex.org.

If anyone knows anything about getting the landscape to show up, please let 
me know, it's the big reason why I'm interested in NeL :)

Heath Johns

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:43:04 +0100

Hi,

Heath Johns wrote:
> [...]

we got these bugs on snowballs 2 since the begining, and we didn't had the
time to checkit out ... sorry ... i'm going to find some time to take a
look on it ... be patient :-)

Cedric.

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Nov 2001 01:32:00 +0100

> My workaround:  comment out lines 423-445 in nel/src/3d/scene.cpp

Yup, no segfault, the bug is around there. I couldn't check this up
since I don't have 3GB and 2 CPU hours to compile the debug version of
the libs... Thanks for the tip !

> commented out line 369 of snowballs2/client/src/client.cpp and that took care 

True, I'm actually worried this bug only shows in Linux,
drawing/rendering should be perfectly portable...

> but there is no landscape.  Also, it times out if you try to contact 

Reproductible :)

> me know, it's the big reason why I'm interested in NeL :)

Idem. I unzipped the data pack in data/ and everything quoted in
client.cfg is there (banks, fonts and so on).