Subject: [Nel] Computer Arts Lab

From: Carl Vilbrandt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:32:44 +0900

To all

I have created in AutoCAD's extended entity data structure a Quake
entity.   Each
AutoCAD  / Quake entity as  a unique name so I have a link between
AutoCAD
data and Quake data such that I can manipulate the precise CAD data with
the real
time Quake entities.   I plan to create a CAD  system that uses a real
time  simulation
for visualization.

I have been looking at other game 3D engines.  Jet3D, Crystal 3D

I have created very precise highly computational base 3D models of
temples in  the
Aizu region of Japan for digital archival, historical purposes.  I
studied with a master
temple builder of this region that has no apprentices and he is the last
temple builder
in this region.

I want to setup historical server sites that allow users to visit the
historical sites
in this area via the internet.

I would like to start a dev group in the Computer Arts Lab an join and
open source
3D real time  dev group.  I am not quite sure where to begin.  Does
anyone have any
suggestions or could offer some advice on where to start.

http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/~vilb/vilb.html

--
Carl Vilbrandt, MFA, Associate Professor
University of Aizu________________________________Computer Arts Lab
Tsuruga, lkki-machi, Aizu-Wakamatsu City, Fukushima, 965-8580 JAPAN
phone 81-242-37-2792 / fax 81-242-37-2772 / email [email-masked]

CARL VILBRANDT

University of Aizu        Department of Software - Computer Arts Lab
Tsuruga, Ikki-machi, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima, JAPAN 965-8580

Curriculum Vitae | email: [email-masked]     Office 327-B
| tel no: +81-242-37-2792     FAX +81-242-37-2772
|
|

Classes:  Computer Graphics
Literacy 2
Operating Systems

Research: GNUbook.org
HyperFun.org
Aizu History Project

---

From: Dave Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:31:46 -0500

> Carl Vilbrandt wrote:
> data and Quake data such that I can manipulate the precise CAD data
> with the real
> temple builder of this region that has no apprentices and he is the
> last temple builder
> in this region.
> 

The big way to contribute to open source is to release under the GPL or
a BSD-style license your autocad->quake converter.  I think there is a
Quake3->Crystalspace map converter, which is something that you might
want to consider when choosing an engine.  

This sounds like a great project - have fun!

--
-Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is said that it is the curse of the neophobe to always see the 
symptoms as the disease, and to always make half measures" - Pug