Subject: [Nel] Compilation of snowballs.exe under Windows 98 and NT

From: "Mark W. Oosterveld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:15:38 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

  I am one of the slashdot horde that descended on your project
recently. I have done a cvs checkout of the latest soruce, and am triing
to compile it under Visual C++ 6.0, sp 4, on both a Windows 98 box (at
home) and an NT box (at work... don't tell anyone). Anyway, after
installing STLport, FreeType, Python, and glext.h, I am able to compile
all the libraries. But, when I try to build the client, I get the
following error:

LINK: warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other
libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
MSVCRT.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
ReleaseDebug/snowballs.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe

  Unfortunatly, my C++ is a little rusty, and my Windows Programing is
almost non existant, but there is a main (and a WinMain) in client.cpp.
I suspect I have a setting wrong in VC, but wouldn't even begin to know
where to find it.

Mark

P.S. I am most interested in looking at (and possibly working on) the
server side, but need to get a client up and running before I can really
start looking at it in depth.

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:53:52 +0100

Hello,

It's a bug. you have 3 ways to resolve it:
1- The bug occurs only in ReleaseDebug mode so you could try in to change
the mode to Release, it will work fine (to change the mode, go to the menu
'Build', 'Set Active Configuration' and select 'client - Win32 Release'
2 - correct the bug yourself. It s very easy, select the 'ReleaseDebug'
configuration and go to 'Project', 'Settings' and go to the 'Link' tab. Then
search in the 'project options' text the string '/subsystem:console' and
remplace it by '/subsystem:windows'. and relink.
3 - wait 24h and update the new cvs to get the fix.

Thanks.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

---

From: "Mark W. Oosterveld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:28:13 -0500 (EST)

Vianney,

  Thank you. That worked perfectly. Now I just have to wait till I get
home before I can run it. I was pretty sure it was a simple problem, but
one that would have taken me days to track down. Thanks again.

Mark

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Vianney Lecroart wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Nel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> /mailman/listinfo.cgi/nel
>