Subject: [Nel] RE: Dave Null

From: Tels <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:23:23 +0100 (CET)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Moin,

> According to Tels:
>> >#checking whether c++ accepts -g... \c
>> >#yes
>> >#./configure: /dev/null: Permission denied
>> >#configure: error: can not run ./config.sub 
>> 
>> I accidentily descroyd my /dev/null (Dont ask). Sorry.
> 
> Wow. And linux kept on working?

Until the next reboot, yes. Linux is more stable than I thought ;o)

> On many unix systems, destroying /dev/null and /dev/zero means a
> straight go to single user, and system repair using static binaries,
> as a lot of dynamic linking uses these files (donno for what exactly).

I booted from rescue disk (thanx suse!), then copied over /dev/zero.
Unfortunately /dev/null got (why I dunno) 600, so user processes could not
use it, so I changed it and now it seems to work all again. Whew. Now I
need more time to figure out Nel.

Cheers,

Tels

Tels

- --
 "Why do you go so slowly? Do you think this is some kind of game?"
 http://bloodgate.com/thief/     Thief - The Dark Project
 http://bloodgate.com/aifilter   Rewriting the HTML as we know it.
 http://freedomforlinks.de       Fight for your right to link. 
 PGP key available on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or via email.

The email address contained in the From/Reply of this email is NOT
to be displayed on webpages, entered into any mailing lists, given 
to other people, used to send me electronic greeting cards without
my written, signed permission. No SPAM nor UCE, either! Thank you!
And PLEASE refrain from forwarding me chain letters, massmailings,
or pyramid schemes.