Subject: Re: [Nel] Deprecated services

From: Michael Warnock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:26:32 -0700

10/24/2001 6:39:04 AM, "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>We made few clean up in services directory (nelns). pac_service, log_service
>and time_service are removed from the CVS because they are deprecated.
>You don't need them to run a shard anymore.
>

with a fresh recompile of the nelns and game specific services we first find that all the services want some new variables including XWinParam and SId.  We discovered the syntax of XWinParam and 
it's friends, and made an educated guess on the others.  Here is a sample of our cfg which I'm guessing is correct:

Rec = "no";
NSHost = "63.205.226.188";
NSPort = 50000;
BasePort = 51000;

XWinParam = 600;
YWinParam = 0;
WWinParam = 600;
HWinParam = 300;

SId = "NS";

At any rate this was enough to dispel the warnings.  When we try to log in with a freshly recompiled client we get as far as choosing a shard before we are informed that there is no frontend service.  
the frontend service's logs seem to indicate a normal connection.

Keep up the great work!
Michael Warnock
InOrbit Entertainment Inc.

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:22:58 +0200

Hi Michael,

You are not force to put variables Rec WinParam and SId. If you don't put
them, you ll just have a warning message like this:
"WRN 1176 config_file.h 283 : Exception will be launched: variable "Rec" not
found in file "admin_executor_service.cfg""
But it's not important because the warning is due to the Exceptiont. In
debug mode, all Exception throw a warning to warn the coder.
Anyway, You should remove unused Variable for example SId. In fact this
variable is a *number*, an Id, that used to force the sid in the
naming_service. You could set the variable to 0 if you don't want to force
the number but let the naming_service find an empty SId for you. This value
must be < 127.

I'll check your problem with our sample and this probs if any.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Warnock" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Nel] Deprecated services

> with a fresh recompile of the nelns and game specific services we first
find that all the services want some new variables including XWinParam and
SId.  We discovered the syntax of XWinParam and
> it's friends, and made an educated guess on the others.  Here is a sample
of our cfg which I'm guessing is correct:
> At any rate this was enough to dispel the warnings.  When we try to log in
with a freshly recompiled client we get as far as choosing a shard before we
are informed that there is no frontend service.
> _______________________________________________
> Nel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> /mailman/listinfo.cgi/nel
>

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:00:56 +0100

Hi,

> the frontend service's logs seem to indicate a normal connection.

I understood the problem and fixed it. It was a problem due to the new
layer5 (I'll write a doc about that tomorrow).
Update NeL, check that the file login_server.cpp is updated and all should
be like before.

I modified lot of file like Makefile, NeL source, Snowballs2 etc to fix all
problem due to new NeL changes. Now, the client and server should work fine
with the last NeL and snowballs2 version on cvs.
Tomorow, I'll release new data package for snowballs2 that needed to run
Snowballs2 client.

Vianney Lecroart