Subject: [Nel] Announce: NeL 0.1 is officially out

From: Vincent Archer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:49:11 +0100

We are proud to announce the release of the 0.1 version of the NeL
framework. This framework comprises the NeL library, and a basic client
and server source for a simple game called Snowballs. The CVS should be 
updated shortly, and the 0.1 release tagged. We are including the data
files required for the game separately.

If you are following the CVS regularly, you just have to update,
download the data archive, compile and run. Otherwise, you may also
download separately the source tree of the 0.1 release without using
CVS.

NB: The source archives are packages with CVS data, you may use unpack
them and use then CVS to update.

We do not provide a pre-built set of binaries, as the 0.1 release isn't
really representative of the full technology we want to use. The server
has been tested under Linux, and the client under Windows. If you want
to use it, there is a demo server running here, on which the client
connects by default.

For any questions, we have opened a new mailing list dedicated to the
Snowballs demo game, [email-masked] (see on the web site for
a subscription page). Questions and reports about the client, server,
or game data themselves should be directed there, while all discussions
on the NeL library itself should remain under the [email-masked]
original mailing list.

The archives may be downloaded there from the main page:
	/

Note: The zip archive contains the source tree in DOS text format,
whereas the tar.gz archives contains the source in Unix text format.
Both should compile equally well, but one might be easier to edit on
your system.

See you on the snowfields :)

-- 
Vincent Archer                                         Email: [email-masked]

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!

---

From: Dim Segebart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:17:13 +0100

Hello to all !
I just want to share some of my recent hints on building NeL for Win32
platform with MC VC++ 6.0
(Sorry  for  experienced  developers  familiar  with Win32 development
environment,  may  be someone else like me usually do work primarily under
UNIX and very seldom under Win32)

*** STLPort ***
First  problem  is  building  STLPort.
(first big problem is the size - You  should  have  a  plenty  of  free space on
hard drive. After building, STLPORT occupies 377946112 bytes)
For some reasons or other nmake
doesn't  work for me as expected (could be what Win32 also hate me as I
hate Win32 ;)) It reports a lot of errors and exit.
To  solve  this problem you can do File->Open STLport-4.0\src\vc6.mak and
then do Build->build  stlport.exe
Finally, after 30 minutes of hard work (PIII500/256), you'll have .lib & .dll & .pdb
files   located   at  STLport-4.0\lib  Manually copy .lib (and I think
.pdb  too)  to  VC default \lib location and don't forget to copy .dll
files to some place where they could be found at runtime.

*** FreeType 2 ***
You need GNU Make 3.77 Link at FreeType site is broken
Grab it from ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/freetype/contrib/win32/gnumake-win32.zip
or any other place you want
(http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/cgi-bin/search?form=medium&query=gnumake-win32.zip&doit=Search&type=Case+insensitive+multiple+substrings+search&hits=50&matches=&hitsprmatch=&limdom=&limpath=&hidepackages=on&hidedistfiles=on&hidefreebsd=on&hideopenbsd=on&hidenetbsd=on&hidelinux=on&f1=Count&f2=Mode&f3=Size&f4=Date&f5=Host&f6=Path&header=none&sort=none&trlen=20)
You   should  have both path to GNU make and path to VC++ binaries as well
to be included into your PATH environment variable
next do:
make setup visualc
make
copy freetype-2.0\obj\freetype.lib to VC++ default \lib location
and  also  copy  freetype-2.0\include\freetype directory itself  to VC \include
directory (just to save some clicks and typing while building NeL)

To be continued ...

PS.  Many  thanks to Paul Oakenfold and his wonderful music which save
me from going madness while working under MS Windows :))
-- 
Dim Segebart                         mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:41:37 +0100

> files to some place where they could be found at runtime.

yes

> Grab it from
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/freetype/contrib/win32/gnumake-win32.zi
p
> or any other place you want
(http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/cgi-bin/search?form=medium&query=gnumake-win32.z
ip&doit=Search&type=Case+insensitive+multiple+substrings+search&hits=50&matc
hes=&hitsprmatch=&limdom=&limpath=&hidepackages=on&hidedistfiles=on&hidefree
bsd=on&hideopenbsd=on&hidenetbsd=on&hidelinux=on&f1=Count&f2=Mode&f3=Size&f4
=Date&f5=Host&f6=Path&header=none&sort=none&trlen=20)
> directory (just to save some clicks and typing while building NeL)

yes too...

In fact, I put in the INSTALL all things that you have to do to compile
freetype, stlport and so on.
But, I had to remove these information because, some people in Nevrax think
that it s not our job
to explain how to compile others external libraries.

Thanks for all these informations and we hope that they helps everybody to
compile more easily.

Vianney

---

From: David Mentre <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 10:59:01 +0100

"Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]> writes:

> But, I had to remove these information because, some people in Nevrax
> think that it s not our job to explain how to compile others external
> libraries.

It is maybe not your job, but if people are unable to start, they will
never give you a feedback (code, bugs, ...).

d.
-- 
 [email-masked] -- http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/
 Opinions expressed here are only mine.

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:56:11 +0100

> never give you a feedback (code, bugs, ...).

Exact, We know that but in fact, if we put a doc explains all things to do
to
install external lib, we ll have to follow each new external lib version,
try them
and correct eventually the file. It s the reason that we prefer to refer to
the
external lib documentation to install them.
Anyway, we'll perhaps put a special section on our web site or/and with nel
to
explain more in deep how to get and compile external stuffs.

Vianney Lecroart

---

From: Valignat Cedric <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:26:13 +0100

Hi David,

> never give you a feedback (code, bugs, ...).

I'm one of the guys who was at the origin of that decision.

It's not a problem about our job or not, it's more about the fact
that you will never get from us a better support on these libraries
installation that you could get from the guys who are working
on them ... even if i know that it is pretty troublesome to look
for informations on several place about several libraries just to
install NeL :-)

And if their installation instructions aren't up to date or incomplete,
that's will be nice to contact them to fix that. I'm sure that a lot a
people (mainly user as you are, but not necessarily NeL users :-) will
appreciate the help ... as we will ;-)

Anyway, we are going to write a small document explaining the basic
installation instructions for these libraries, but you should not
rely on that document to resolve all your installation problems.

In case of troubles, you should look carefully at the README,
the INSTALL files, and on the the files placed in the directory named
doc(s) in the librarie file source tree, and do not forget there web
sites, mailling lists, etc ... ;-)

Cedric.