Subject: [Nel] NeL Build Problems

From: "Mike Bresnahan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:50:55 -0800

Hello, everyone.  I am brand new to Nevrax and I am having troubles with my
first build.

I have downloaded and built STLPort and FreeType 2 without much trouble, but
I have been unable to build NeL.  When I open the workspace file (nel.dsw)
with Visual C++ 6.0 SP5 it contains no projects.  What's up with that?

Ideally, I would like to build NeL with Cygwin.  I still want to use the
Visual C++ compiler, but I want to use bash, GNU make, etc. that come with
Cygwin.  Has anyone accomplished this?  It looks like a whole project to get
it to work.  First off, NeL makes use of autoconf and libtool, and these
tools are in a state of flux on Cygwin.  It appears that the only working
libtool on Cygwin requires autoconf 2.52.  Which version does NeL use?

Mike

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:48:32 +0100

Hi Mike,

> with Visual C++ 6.0 SP5 it contains no projects.  What's up with that?

No project in the nel.dsw??? Too strange, we use it everyday and we have
project on it.
Open the nel.dsw in a notepad and look if the link to the .dsp are there or
not.
Look if the .dsp path/file are good. Don't know what to do more.

> libtool on Cygwin requires autoconf 2.52.  Which version does NeL use?

We only work on windows with Visual C++ so I don't think it compiles well on
cygwin but if you want to try :) good luck.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

---

From: "Mike Bresnahan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 05:08:06 -0800

> Look if the .dsp path/file are good. Don't know what to do more.

Ha!  I think I've found the problem.  The visual studio files are using \n
for line endings instead of CR LF.  This was probably caused by the fact
that I'm using the Cygwin version of cvs.

> cygwin but if you want to try :) good luck.

Yeah, there are a lot of issues.  I've gotten as far as getting STLPort and
freetype2 to compile on Cygwin using the microsoft compiler.  Interestly, if
you specify CC=cl to configure, libtool uses Microsoft lib to preform
library creation, rather than ar.  I'm clueless how libtool figured this
out.

Mike

---

From: "Mike Bresnahan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:48:35 -0800

Something about the interaction between my cvs client (CVS 1.11 on Cygwin)
and the nevrax CVS server is causing the line endings to be translated from
CR LF to NL.  As a result, Visual C++ can't make sense of the workspace and
project files (*.dsw,*.dsp).  I don't have this problem with sourceforge,
but they use the ssh protocol instead of pserver.  Has anyone else
encountered this problem?  Found a fix?

Mike

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:39:11 +0100

> encountered this problem?  Found a fix?

We use WinCvs and don't have the problem you said. in the command line cvs,
there options like --crlf or --lf, you should take a look on this and do
some tries.

Vianney Lecroart
---

---

From: "Mike Bresnahan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:47:06 -0800

> there options like --crlf or --lf, you should take a look on this and do

I can't find any such options, but I did discover that I get newline line
endings even when I have specified that the file is binary with -kb.  What
OS is the cvs server running on?

Mike

---

From: Vincent Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jan 2002 20:09:23 +0100

> OS is the cvs server running on?

The pb is purely client side. On the server side, CVS stores text files
as they are commited, ie. CR and LF are kept intact, often leading to
mixed mode text files in the repository. The default behaviour of WinCVS
is to convert incoming (checkout'ed or updated) files to DOS format in
order they are workable with Windows tools (MSVC for instance), and of
course do the inverse conversion when checking in (ie. only sending unix
format text to the repository).

WinCVS has a checkbox 'Checkout files with Unix LF' in the preferences
dialog, and this is a _bad idea_ to activate it. For instance, MSVC will
open unix format files, but will save added text lines in DOS format.
When you'll reopen this mixed format file, it will confuse MSVC and
you'll end up with blank lines scattered in your code.

If you're using CVS from the cygwin distribution, it will behave as it's
unix counterpart, ie. check files as-is. I'm not sure wether cvs is
sensible to the global cygwin setting about text file format (
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html )

If files have CR in the repository, the proper solution consist in
removing (cvs rm) the file, and re-adding it (cvs add) properly.

However I grepped nel and swnoballs2 source, and I can't find a single
CR. The repository is fine :)