Subject: [Nel] Login System Game

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:18:55 +0200

Hi everybody!

We just launch our new game! no, no, please, keep cool, it's not THE game,
but a little game for geeks/nerds/hackers :-)

On the server named itsalive.nevrax.org, we have launch a shard with:
login_service, naming_service, admin_executor_service, admin_service,
time_service, welcome_service and a frontend_service.

The goal of the game is: to crash/hack everything on this server (and only
this one please ;-)

We put the real login system to connect to the front end, so one goal is to
successfully connect to the front end *without* login/password
or to find a failure in the login procedure.

You can find the documentation about how the login system works here:
/docs/doxygen/nel/login_system.html

In the CVS directory "nel/samples/login_sytem/"
(/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/code/nel/samples/login_system/),
you'll find the client source that is used to connect to the shard and
also the frontend service code (that does nothing) that is running on
itsalive.
The client uses a configuration file (client.cfg) that contains the ip
address of the login service
and the login and password you want to provide. If the login doesn't exist,
it will be added to the
database with the password associate to it and the next time, you'll need to
provide the good password
to validate the login.

All others services sources running on itsalive are located here:
/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/code/nelns/

Our goal is know if our login system is robust or not.

You can do everything you want to crash a service, all services or the
computer but, please,
explain us what you did to enable us to fix the problem!

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

---

From: Julien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:51:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, 
I was wondering if anyone had a exemple of how to
use the pacs service ( exept from pacs_service.cpp),
or if more documentation about pacs (tahn on the 
nevrax site)could be found somewhere?
Thanx,
Jul.

___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? -- Vos albums photos en ligne, 
Yahoo! Photos : http://fr.photos.yahoo.com

---

From: "Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:04:03 +0200

Hi,

> nevrax site)could be found somewhere?

A sample has been added in NeL to show how to use PACS library using
the PACS user interface (we recommand to not use the pacs service).
This sample is located in nel/samples/pacs.

It doesn't show how to manage collisions against the landscape but this will
come
soon.

Regards,

Cyril Corvazier
Lead 3d programmer
Nevrax France

---

From: Tony Hoyt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:30:04 -0400

I'm curious as to the progress of SnowBall and it's compatability with
the latest version of nel.  Has the team stableized things in the
interface to a point where a new version could be done or should we see
more inteface re-defineing changes in the future that could strongly
affect any projects desired to be based off of it?

  Also, how's the progress on the 3d rendering engine?  At home I have a
p3 800 but only a tnt2 ultra video card with 32mb ram.  Will nel
eventually be developed to support that weak a model of graphics card? 
At least there should be some options of disableing a lot of 'special
affects' to help speed up the game in question.  And we all know that it
should be able to deal with 100 active actors on screen at one time.
(Stress test)  But how possable does that look in the near future?

  Tony

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:14:50 +0200

Hello Tony,

> the latest version of nel.

The Snowball is out of date. It doesn't compile with NeL since we change lot
of things in the user interface. We (Cedric Valignat, Benjamin Legros and I)
work on the new snowball called Snowballs2. In this version, we rewrite
everything from scratch (except lens flare and radar) with the current NeL
interface. There's a simple (14 cpp files) client explain how to use NeL.
It uses lot of stuffs from NeL like Particule system, Animation, Skeleton,
Skinning, Landscape, Collision, Network, etc...
So it will be a good tutorial or starting point to use NeL.
We plan to release it soon (before the end of the next week) and we actually
work on the server side and 3d datas integration.

> Has the team stableized things in the

The NeL library user interface changes often because we have not fix it. We
plan to fix the NeL interface before the end of this year. But the current
user interface doesn't change often anyway.

> (Stress test)  But how possable does that look in the near future?

I leave Cyril Corvazier (lead 3d programer) to answer to this :)

Vianney Lecroart
---

---

From: Tony Hoyt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:43:46 -0400

Vianney Lecroart wrote: 

  I've read some of the logs to this newsgroup so I knew about the
issues with the current SnowBall.  I would like to give NEL a try but I
was hopeing a more full version example would help me more :-) But yes,
i'll look at the tutorials some more to see how this sdk works.

> user interface doesn't change often anyway.

  I'm a little confused here.  Basicly what I want to know is, if I
write code for nel now, how strong is the possablity of me having to
re-write that code to take into the count of changes in function
definitions?  now i know the code must evolve and change, but if I start
writing an application with the sdk, and every two months i need to make
major revisions to keep up with the latest and greatest, I may pause
some before starting development.  How possable is it to see a lock on
the headers?
 
> I leave Cyril Corvazier (lead 3d programer) to answer to this :)

  Also, anyone hear about this new technology Verant Interactive is
going to be using for EQ1.5? (ie, the upcomeing expansion)  I hear it's
supposed to help make online games work a hell of a lot faster.  But
what is it?

  Tony