Subject: [Nel] 3D Technologies UNITE! Please read...

From: Brian Shores <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:40:56 -0500

Dear Fellow 3D'ers, 

	I received links to your websites from the Virtual Reality
Association and am very interested in your projects. I am currently looking
for an alternative 3D environment than Activeworlds: one that will support
more functionality than previously available and also "in-line" world
building (as opposed to offline creation of content). There is a group of us
discussing the possibility of a Citizen-owned Universe, and we have been
debating whether to simply purchase a Universe server from Activeworlds, or
go with a totally new technology. One of the biggest concerns we have as a
group is the fact that there is a lot of "legacy data" consisting of builds,
bots, websites, etc. that are all intertwined with Activeworlds technology.
Support of RWX/COB objects and avatars, Activeworlds "propdumps", and
software interface for custom applications developed with the Activeworlds
SDK would be something that we are looking for the new technology to
support. 

	There are several other groups developing new 3D environment
technology. It would be nice if they could all get together, share ideas,
and possibly combine efforts to produce an open source platform that we can
all use comfortably as our new cyber-home! We want to be FREE of the
influence of corporate greed and poor management/marketing tactics, we want
a place that we all own a part of and have a say as to how things are run.

Here are some links relating to the discussion: 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AW_Discussion_Group 
http://kaltana.com/freedom 

An alternative to AW Technology being developed (There are others also, I
just can't find the links!): 
http://seeray.com/derekrayburn/index.html 

	I can only hope that people work together on this so that the future
of online VR worlds will be secure, creative, entertaining, Democratically
FAIR, and prosperous! The best way to facilitate a positive change is to
keep communicating, and keep developing the future of the cyber-frontier. We
must all work together towards these common goals. 

Peace and Happy Building,

Artillo

a.k.a.

Brian Shores 
Mechanical design Engineer 
SEOS Incorporated 
USA Manufacturing Division 
Kennett Square, PA 
(610) 925-5844 extension 19 
http://www.seos.com 

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it." 
-Lou Holtz-

---

From: Tony Hoyt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:25:42 -0500

Wow, I'm actually an Activeworlds memeber as well, and I too have
noticed that it's just not going to get any better anytime soon.  An AW
like online project would be cool.  And if I was a better coder, I would
have taken to Nel as well for such a project.  I wish you guys luck. 
This could very well be cool.

  Tony