Subject: Re: [Nel] www.nevrax.org down

From: "Brenden Towey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:02:18 -0700

Works fine at 8:00pm PDT from California (rcsis.com).

I didn't get a traceroute...

Brenden

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2001 10:43 AM
Subject: [Nel] www.nevrax.org down

>I can't reach www.nevrax.org.
>When i ping it i get:
>Reply from 194.250.133.2: TTL expired in transit.
>
>When i traceroute i get:
>pong:~$ traceroute www.nevrax.org
>traceroute to www.nevrax.org (195.68.21.195), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
>  1  c193.150.204.1.cm-upc.chello.se (193.150.204.1)  7.8 ms  14.56 ms
>9.447 ms
>  2  gsr1-ge1-2.upc.se (213.200.190.91)  8.156 ms  8.703 ms  8.476 ms
>  3  213.46.176.5 (213.46.176.5)  9.117 ms  17.592 ms  16.453 ms
>  4  * 213.46.160.210 (213.46.160.210)  9.436 ms  12.343 ms
>  5  213.46.160.205 (213.46.160.205)  34.315 ms  46.031 ms *
>  6  * * fr-par-rc-01-pos-0-0.chellonetwork.com (213.46.160.69)  43.049 ms
>  7  fr-par-rd-01-pos-1-0.chellonetwork.com (213.46.160.74)  43.536 ms
>43.382 ms
>   48.619 ms
>  8  fr-par-rb-01-pos-8-1-0.chellonetwork.com (213.46.163.22)  49.991 ms
>  45.381
>ms  48.53 ms
>  9  213.46.163.30 (213.46.163.30)  46.188 ms  46.096 ms  52.818 ms
>10  fr-par-ri-01-pos-0-0-0.chellonetwork.com (212.17.101.53)  49.037 ms
>  52.145
>ms  60.492 ms
>11  colt-telecommunication.sfinx.tm.fr (194.68.129.224)  48.797 ms *
>48.3 ms
>12  relay2-th.s3-0-E3.fr.colt.net (194.250.136.209)  50.71 ms  47.67 ms
>  55.997
>ms
>13  relay2-colt.OC3-POS5-0-0.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.206)  48.739 ms
>53.683 ms
>   47.798 ms
>14  relay-colt.OC3.pos-0-0-0.fr.colt.net (194.250.136.61)  48.363 ms
>69.684 ms
>  59.31 ms
>15  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  78.627 ms  76.116
>ms  93.71
>3 ms
>16  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  72.892 ms *  203.14 ms
>17  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  86.043 ms  85.756
>ms  81.68
>2 ms
>18  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  83.823 ms  82.836 ms
>85.816 ms
>19  * relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  100.03 ms 
>100.501 ms
>20  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  99.883 ms  108.619 ms
>115.294 ms
>21  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  112.519 ms  131.176
>ms  135
>.302 ms
>22  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  110.856 ms  117.394 ms
>116.263 m
>s
>23  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  131.426 ms  129.002
>ms  132
>.275 ms
>24  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  132.29 ms  126.232 ms
>131.91 ms
>25  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  143.837 ms  145.277
>ms  143
>.39 ms
>26  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  141.688 ms  144.001 ms
>142.631 m
>s
>27  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  160.698 ms  160.527
>ms  160
>.689 ms
>28  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  161.402 ms  158.537 ms
>158.716 m
>s
>29  relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.2)  176.744 ms  179.256
>ms  175
>.634 ms
>30  gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net (194.250.133.1)  177.412 ms  178.237 ms
>174.412 ms
>
>It seems as if my packets are jumping back and forth between 
>relay-colt.s5-1-0-8.fr.colt.net and gw1.NiceSiris.fr.colt.net.
>Is it your(nevrax's) isp that is choking?
>
>/David
>
>_______________________________________________
>Nel mailing list
>[email-masked]
>/mailman/listinfo.cgi/nel

---

From: "Daniel Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:36:40 +0200

Thanks for the info.
If anyone else has trouble it would be much appreciated if you could let us
know.

Regards to all,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Brenden Towey
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 5:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Nel] www.nevrax.org down

Brenden

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:05:28 -0700

It's been a while since I last compiled NeL but I'm now trying to compile
the latest CVS version of NeL and configure is saying STLPort isn't found.
STLPort 4.0 is installed and the old configure was able to find it using the
same options (I am doing --with-stlport=/usr/include/stlport) but the new
configure is saying it's not installed (I'm the same shell script with the
configure options for both, so there are no typos or missing options, both
configures were ran the exact same way on the same system today).  Is the
latest CVS version relying on a newer version of STLPort or is there a bug
with the latest configure script?

Thanks,
E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:15:25 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 11:05 AM

> with the latest configure script?

It seems that either the --with-stlport-include is a new configure option or
recently the configure script has been changed to append /include to
your --with-stlport path if you don't specify --with-stlport-include.
 If --with-stlport-include is a new option then it should be using
the --with-stlport path without modification unless it's explicitly
specified.  The default distribution of STLport doesn't even have/create an
include directory for the header files, it's STLport-4.0/stlport.  Also,
this change isn't documented in the INSTALL file (still says you just
need --with-stlport).

From the INSTALL document:

      The "configure" script must be call with the "--with-stlport" and
      "--with-python" options.
      The option "--with-stlport" allow to override the default STL headers
      and the option "--with-python" tell to the configuration script, where
      to find the Python headers files.

It specifically states that the --with-stlport option points to the STL
header files so --with-stlport-include seems redundant.
 Either --with-stlport should be removed (so we're left
with --with-stlport-include and --with-stlport-lib)
or --with-stlport-include should be removed or at the very least /include
should not be appended to the --with-stlport option.

Thanks,
E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:10:54 -0700

In code/nel/src/3d/coarse_mesh_manager.h on line 98 an enum is being
declared with a value of 0xffffffffffffffff which is 32 bits too long for
i386 Linux.  Changing the definition to (~0U) will give you 0xffffffff on 32
bit and 0xffffffffffffffff on 64 bit.

After this change and the problem with configure was worked around NeL
compiled fine on my system.

-E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:34:00 +0200

Hi Zane,

I will fixe this problem on the CVS. Thank you for the report.

Regards,

Cyril Corvazier

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:43:34 +0200

Hello,

Zane wrote:
> [...]

I changed NeL and NeLNS configure.in files recently and i forgot to commit
the new INSTALL file and send a mail about it ... sorry ...

Now you have 3 options for STLPort. You can either use :

   --with-stlport=<path_to_the_install_directory>

            e.g.: --with-stlport=~/install
            this will look for headers file in the ~/install/stlport directory
            and library files in the  ~/install/stlport/lib directory.

or

   --with-stlport-include=<path_to_the_headers_directory>
            
            e.g.: --with-stlport-include=~/install/stlport
            this will look for the header files in the ~/install/stlport
            directory

   --with-stlport-lib=<path_to_the_lib_directory>

            e.g.: --with-stlport-lib=~/install/lib
            this will look for the library files in the ~/install/lib directory

Actually if you are using --with-stlport-include you must use
--with-stlport-lib too ... i will fix that for a situation like yours where
libraries files are installed in a default directory like /usr

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:52:27 +0200

Zane wrote:
> 
> The default distribution of STLport doesn't even have/create an

I've just fixed that bug ...

> header files so --with-stlport-include seems redundant.

You can either use --with-stlport OR --with-stlport-include and
--with-stlport-lib. 

--with-stlport will automaticly set CFLAGS and LIB variables to the specified
directory with /stlport (for the header file) and /lib appended.

Thanks for pointing use probelms :-)

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:18:51 -0700

I've been able to compile NeL without errors for a few days now but when I
try to compile NeLNS using the newly compiled version of NeL I get the
following errors:

login_service.o: In function `readPlayerDatabase(void)':
login_service.o(.text+0x1f56): undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CConfigFile::getVar(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &)'
login_service.o(.text+0x2af6): undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CConfigFile::getVar(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &)'
login_service.o: In function `CLoginService::init(void)':
login_service.o(.CLoginService::gnu.linkonce.t.init(void)+0x163): undefined
reference to `NLMISC::CConfigFile::load(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelmisc.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CIFile::CIFile(basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &, bool)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelnet.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CBufFIFO::front(_STL::vector<unsigned char,
_STL::allocator<unsigned char> > &)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelmisc.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CIFile::open(basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &, bool)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelmisc.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CClassRegistry::create(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelmisc.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::Exception::Exception(basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelnet.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CBufFIFO::push(_STL::vector<unsigned char, _STL::allocator<unsigned
char> > const &, _STL::vector<unsigned char, _STL::allocator<unsigned char>
> const &)'
/usr/local/lib/libnelnet.so: undefined reference to
`NLMISC::CBufFIFO::push(_STL::vector<unsigned char, _STL::allocator<unsigned
char> > const &)'

Here are the corresponding entries in the newly compiled library
(libnelmisc.a):

000020f0 T NLMISC::CConfigFile::getVar(basic_string<char,
string_char_traits<char>, __default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &)
00001e5c T NLMISC::CConfigFile::load(basic_string<char,
string_char_traits<char>, __default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &)
         U NLMISC::CIFile::CIFile(basic_string<char,
string_char_traits<char>, __default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &, bool)
00000158 T NLMISC::CIFile::CIFile(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &, bool)
000000dc T NLMISC::CBufFIFO::front(vector<unsigned char, allocator<unsigned
char> > &)
         U NLMISC::CIFile::open(basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &, bool)
00000394 T NLMISC::CIFile::open(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &, bool)
         U NLMISC::CIFile::open(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &, bool)
00000a64 t global destructors keyed to
NLMISC::CClassRegistry::create(basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &)
00000a4c t global constructors keyed to
NLMISC::CClassRegistry::create(basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &)
00000000 T NLMISC::CClassRegistry::create(basic_string<char,
string_char_traits<char>, __default_alloc_template<true, 0> > const &)
         U NLMISC::CClassRegistry::create(_STL::basic_string<char,
_STL::char_traits<char>, _STL::allocator<char> > const &)
000008f8 T NLMISC::CBufFIFO::push(vector<unsigned char, allocator<unsigned
char> > const &)
00000000 T NLMISC::CBufFIFO::push(vector<unsigned char, allocator<unsigned
char> > const &, vector<unsigned char, allocator<unsigned char> > const &)
-------------------

All of this was just on the first service I tried to compile so I'm sure
that the other libraries have similar problems.  A little info on my system:

Debian Linux
GCC 2.95.4
ld 2.11.90.0.24
autoconf 2.52c
automake 1.4k
libtool 1.4c
STLPort 4.0
Freetype 2.0.1

Thanks,
E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:45:36 +0200

Hi Zane,

I compiled NeL and NeLNS yesterday without any problem on our gnu/linux
computer.
It seems that the problem is that you compiled NeL *without* STLPort, so the
first parameter of the getVar function is basic_string

> NLMISC::CConfigFile::getVar(basic_string<char,string_char_traits<char>,

but you tried to compile NeLNS (login service) *with* STLPort, so the linker
try to find the getVar function with the first parameter is
_STL::basic_string

NLMISC::CConfigFile::getVar(_STL::basic_string<char,_STL::char_traits<char>,
_STL::allocator<char> > const &)

I think you should try to compile *all* (NeL + NeLNS) with or without
STLPort but not only the half and it should be ok.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:20:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 2:45 AM

> first parameter of the getVar function is basic_string

Actually since Monday it's been compiling just fine.  I've always been
compiling with stlport.  Here's my compile procedure (I run it from a
script, it was the same Monday as it was Friday when it didn't work):

bootstrap
configure --with-stlport=/usr/src/STLPort-4.0 --with-freetype=/usr/include/f
reetype2 --with-python=/usr/include/python-1.5
make

I have a similar script for NeLNS that uses STLPort. (has the --with-stlport
option).  If I recall correctly you MUST specifically tell it not to use
STLPort.  Regardless, some change was made Monday or over the weekend that
fixed my compiling problem.

-E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Vianney Lecroart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:42:17 +0200

Ok,

So the only reason I see could be in the Makefile or autconf/automake.
You have to wait Cedric to have an answer about this problem. He should
comes back from his holiday tomorrow.

Vianney Lecroart
---

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:30:31 +0200

Hello Zane,

> reetype2 --with-python=/usr/include/python-1.5

It's just working fine on our computers and i can't find it could
come but from a wrong link PATH, so i have some stupid questions
for you (sorry for that) :

   - Is your '--with-nel' configure option properly set ?
   - Did you do, if it's necessary, a make install in NeL ?
   - Could you send us your script to compile NeLNS ?

I told you that they were stupids :-)

> fixed my compiling problem.

You'r rigth, the default is to ask for the STLPort ortherwise you have to
set an option to overide that ...

Cedric.

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:38:59 -0700

Got an error compiling NeL under Linux, basically a typing problem, here's a
patch:

diff -r1.2 tcp_sock.cpp
187c187
<       int len = sizeof( windowsize );
---
>       socklen_t len  = sizeof( windowsize );

-E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:52:34 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cedric Valignat" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 6:30 AM

>    - Could you send us your script to compile NeLNS ?

Well I'm was using the same method Monday as I was Friday and it worked on
Monday (after I updated from CVS) and didn't on Friday.  With my original
e-mail I attached nm output from the NeL libraries and the functions they
were looking for in the NeL library were listed but undefined.  The problem
wasn't how I was building NeLNS, it was that NeLNS was either looking for
the wrong functions or NeL wasn't properly exporting/defining the right
functions.  Anyway, here's the script I use for both NeL and NeLNS and they
both work without changes:

#!/bin/bash
./bootstrap
./configure --with-stlport=/usr/src/STLport-4.0 --with-stlport-include=/usr/
src/STLport-4.0/stlport --
with-python=/usr/include/python-1.5 --with-freetype=/usr/include/freetype2
make
#make install (uncommented in the buildnel script)

I'm not sure what was wrong but something in the Monday (not this Monday but
the 13th I believe) fixed it.  Not sure if you all want to pursue the issue
any further since it's working now, I'm not concerned any longer.

-E.J. Wilburn

---

From: "Zane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:21:16 -0700

I've been getting this error for a couple of days now.  I generally don't
e-mail you all about compilation errors unless I either have a fix or it's
gone for a couple of days without being fixed.  Here's the error:

make[3]: Entering directory `/root/nel/code/nel/src/3d'
source='particle_system.cpp' object='particle_system.lo' libtool=yes \
depfile='.deps/particle_system.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/particle_system.TPlo'
\
depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../../depcomp \
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include    -I../../src -I/usr/include/fr
eetype2 -I/usr/src/STLport-4.0/stlport -O3   -Wno-multichar -D_REENTRANT -I/
usr/X11R6/include -c -o particle_system.lo `test -f particle_system.cpp ||
echo './'`particle_system.cpp
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../src -I/usr/include/freet
ype2 -I/usr/src/STLport-4.0/stlport -O3 -Wno-multichar -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X
11R6/include -c
article_system.cpp -Wp,-MD,.deps/particle_system.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/particle_system.o
particle_system.cpp: In method `void
NL3D::CParticleSystem::unregisterLocatedBindableExternID(NL3D::CPSLocatedBin
dable *)':
particle_system.cpp:467: `iterator_category' undeclared in namespace `_STL'

-E.J. Wilburn

---

From: Olivier Cado <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:46:35 +0200

> >       socklen_t len  = sizeof( windowsize );

Thank you for your patch.
Sorry for this mistake, it was fixed yesterday but the public CVS repository
on nevrax.org is updated at the end of the day.

Olivier Cado
ICQ: 67756413

---

From: Cedric Valignat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:34:16 +0200

> any further since it's working now, I'm not concerned any longer.

I juste fixed a small bug in NeLNS that was active when using the
--with-stlport-lib option ... but if that works now ... weird.

Cedric.